Thursday, June 28, 2007

Theology for Liberal Presbyterians and Other Endangered Species, by Douglas Ottati, professor of theology at Union/PSCE in Richmond, VA.

The title sounded very promising when Lois sent me a note on the book, but it was really a dull read. Not that I disagreed with the author, I was in agreement with him practically every step of the way. He talks about the centrality of grace in reformed theology and how a grace centered theology leads to acceptance for all people because God has accepted all of us sinners in his marvelous grace.

Here is a paragraph that I am totally in agreement with: “We belong to the God of grace. Once we are clear about this, a number of things follow. First we live in assurance, refuse to set limits on the extent of God’s faithfulness, and refuse to exclude anyone from the scope of Grace and redemption. We then work for an inclusive church, support a ministry of reconciliation, and invite everyone everywhere to lay hold of the assurance and confidence that come with the knowledge of a gracious God. Second we acknowledge the human fault and, without losing hope, maintain a realistic attitude toward the present age and its daunting challenges. Finally, we affirm that all people have worth, and we commit ourselves to public practices, policies, and leadership that respect persons, pursue equitable opportunities for the poor, and care for those in need.” (Page 20)

My problem is that it is dense writing, it lacks stories, real life examples, personal passion. Finding something I agree with is not the same as being interested in what is written.

Others may have a totally different reaction to his writing style.

It is solid theologically, although I am sure that the right wing of the Church would like to label him as a heritic. That would be a hard charge to sustain since he bases his theological conclusions on the very mainstream documents of the Presbyterian Church, the such as the Heidelberg Catechism, the Confession of 1967, the Book of Common Worship.

An A for theology, hardly above a D for entertainment value. I suppose some people might have the same comment about my sermons.

Going back to the quotation above, it does highlight a problem I have been having, maintaining hope, hope for an end to the sensless war in Iraq, hope for making significant changes in our state (see my blog for yesterday), hope for changing the Presbyterian Church into a truly accepting community for all people.

Here are a few paragraphs I wrote to a friend earlier today in regard to my frustration with the past legislative session.

I hear you when you say we built relationships, we got people thinking about our ideas, we laid the groundwork for success in the future. It is what I have been telling myself for the past 50 years of political advocacy. Some day our efforts will bear fruit. Next year in Jerusalem.

My problem is that as my career comes to an end I have a greater and greater difficulty in believing what I keep telling myself. There are times when I think perhaps my Communist friends from years ago were right that we need a revolution, not simply more effective advocacy.

The whole direction of our country is wrong, our civil liberties are being eroded, the power of the few is growing greater and greater and the power of the people is shrinking. Is it really possible for this or any citizens group interested in justice to really impact the legislature in the face of established power and special interests?

While we could not win for the working poor a few hundred dollars a year in earned income tax credits this is what is happening at the other end of the income scale. http://www.courant.com/business/hc-worldwealth0628.artjun28,0,483148.story

Is the ballot box the way to change our state, our country, our world? The country effectively voted to end the war in Iraq, we expressed our national lack of confidence in the president and the Republican Majority, but the war rages on with 30,000 more troops in harms way and the body count rising every month.

Throw the tea in the harbor, over turn king George, storm the Bastille, remember Stonewall, end apartheid now!

Maybe I will be less frustrated next week and more optimistic about the success or legislative advocacy; or maybe not.

1 comment:

C. Tate said...

When frustration threatens to overwhelm your optimism, soak in another look at that cell phone picture above. If that's not worth continuing to struggle, no matter how ineffectual the struggle may sometimes seem to be, I don't know what is.